Sunday, April 16, 2017

Keynotes #8: 68° - 72° by Dr Ken McGill, Counselor and Psychotherapist in Plano, TX



“Keynotes” are my brief comments about life and recovery and are intended to provide insight, inspiration, wisdom or humor to your day.
"68° to 72°" is actually the "comfort zone" that I try to stay within with my behaviors. I know that I'm sometimes tempted to soar beyond 72° (where I'm short, irritable or inconsiderate) or fall far below 68° (where I'm distant, cold and unfeeling). These extremes are just not good for me or others.
I know I can "go there" to the extremes in a moment's notice, so I try to read my feelings (that is, monitor my internal thermometer) and when too hot or too cold, make some  attitudinal and behavioral adjustments with my "thermostat," which typically means practicing a spiritual discipline (mindfulness, prayer, confession, study, etc.).
Although I'm not perfect at this, it keeps me in a range where I'm more apt to be successful by living and delivering behavior that I'm comfortable with and more than likely, others find agreeable too.
Whats your comfort range and what behaviors are an indication that you're successfully living within your value system?

No comments:

Post a Comment