Sunday, April 16, 2017

Keynotes #7: Dealing swiftly with Anger by Dr Ken McGill, Counselor and Psychotherapist in Plano, TX



"Keynotes" are my brief comments about life and recovery and are intended to provide insight, inspiration, wisdom or humor to your day.
I've always liked this scripture in the Bible, as it has helped me to think through and deal with my anger (and other feelings) constructively:
"If you become angry, do not let your anger lead you into sin, and do not stay angry all day. Don't give the Devil a chance" - Ephesians 4:26-27 (Good News Version).
I like it because it validates that I can be angry about something that provokes an angry response in me, but it also challenges me to do something constructive about it...sooner than later.
If I could rewrite what I try to practice in my own words, I'd say:
"It's OK to be upset when something happens, but don't hurt others with your words, behavior or your response. Try to resolve it right when it occurs or else you'll regret the lost opportunity, or even worse, the feelings of resentment or entitlement that could follow."

No comments:

Post a Comment